The Anna Lindh Foundation and the Heads of the ALF Networks of Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan, led by the Heads of the ALF Network Cyprus, with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Cyprus, organised the workshop for women titled “Building Healthy Relationships and Enhancing Gender Equality”. The workshop is implemented with the contribution of the Cyprus Family Planning Association and the Mediterranean Institute of Gender Studies.
The workshop uses non-formal education methodologies which aim at encouraging participants to:
• Reflect on women’s experiences, engage in dialogue, sharing thoughts, concerns, perspectives and ideas;
• Critically discuss how gender norms and stereotypes affect the expression and enjoyment of gender and reproductive rights
• Explore – in an interactive, experiential and participatory way – the practical, tangible implications of gender inequalities and gender discrimination in women’s lives and relationships;
• Enhance the sense of community and bring a sense of team spirit and solidarity;
• Challenge gender norms and explore ways for bringing more freedom, happiness, fulfilment and equality in women’s’ lives and relationships.
The workshop was facilitated in December 2020 and February 2021 with the participation of a total of 40 women from Cyprus, Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan. Gender mainstreaming in the foreign policy of Cyprus, and especially in the Eastern Mediterranean region, is a great priority for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Cyprus. The seminar takes place on the 25th anniversary of the Barcelona Process and strengthens the relations between the countries of the region through the empowerment of girls and women in the Eastern Mediterranean